ArrowStream commodities expert, David Maloni, noted this week that data suggests the cattle herd has topped.
"As of July 1, the total U.S. cattle herd was flat with the previous year while beef replacement heifers (think female bovines in waiting for the breeding) were 4.4 percent less than 2018," said Maloni. "And to add insult to injury, the percentage of heifers in feedlots was 38 percent, which is the highest since fall 2002. Readers of our reports will notice that when the percentage of heifers has been this high in the past, the cattle herd has been in a liquidation mode. Now, this does not mean that cattle supplies will tighten considerably in the coming years, but it does suggest that supplies aren’t likely to improve."
ArrowStream's Commodity Intelligence solutions include various reports on over 200 commodities, forecasts and price benchmarking dashboards.
By combining intelligence on commodity markets with ArrowStream's Strategic Sourcing tool optimized for the foodservice industry's unique challenges, restaurant chain operators can implement a repeatable process for securing the right product at the right price.
Purchasing teams who embrace a technology-enabled sourcing process will:
- Proactively identify potential impacts to their product costs
- Better plan sourcing activities & align internal resources
- Identify & collaborate with over 6,000 vetted foodservice suppliers
- Execute more sourcing events by simplifying the process
- Create better alignment between sourcing & culinary teams
- More intelligently negotiate their new & renewing contracts
Talk to our sourcing technology experts about how ArrowStream can help save 18% on product costs when regularly using a data-driven, continuous sourcing process.